Saturday, February 2, 2013

Kilimanjaro: The Mountain

In my previous post I said that I have never climbed a mountain before yet I was planning on climbing the highest mountain in Africa. That mountain is known as Kilimanjaro. Kilimanjaro at 19,340’ is an extreme, high altitude climb and is perhaps the most underestimated of the seven summits. To put that in perspective look up the highest peak you have ever seen or climbed yourself. The highest peak I have seen in Mt. Rainier which is 14,410'.

Kilimanjaro has a lush amount of vegetation and climbing environments. There are six routes that vary in the scenery that the climbers are able to experience. The route that I will be climbing (to be described in a later blog) is the most scenic and has the largest variation of environments. There are still currently glaciers on Kilimanjaro but they are quickly going away and so if anyone else is interested in experiencing these before they disappear it is recommended you climb soon.

Currently there are three peaks for the mountain. Two of the peaks are extinct and there is no chance that they will erupt. The third is the highest peak and is what I will be traveling to the top of and it is dormant but still has the ability to erupt. Don't worry though it hasn't erupted in 150,000 to 200,000 years and I doubt it will decide that it will do so while I am up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment